Got a call from Edwin. He’s offering me back my tkd classes!! This is so spectacularly great cos I was thinking so hard if I should call him and offer my services. Dignity means so much to me. I was even willing to ‘volunteer’ in the name of passion. This really means that I am so passionate cos I don’t usually work for free =) And the best part is, since he called, he has to pay me! Hahahaha. This is super duper great! Cos I was looking for another part-time job and this is just so timely. Sort of got my dream job. There are 2 things there: dream and job. Hope all turns out well, said he will discuss it with me one day over drinks. So far the 10.30am class is confirmed already at least.
Then Timmy said that we can’t have breakfast anymore on weekends then. Now I feel so bad. I thought that my usual ‘pick-up’ time is 11, so it’s just been delayed by an hour. Not too bad. Then he said that we sometimes do meet up earlier for breakfast. Ok, so to console myself, we met only once for breakfast (I think) and as he said, it’s made up by having breakfast every weekday already =p
Change topic.
I was lying on the sofa, squashed to the inside and furthermore had a large pillow on my head. Hoping that Tim would stop squashing me, I said “I can’t breathe”. “Love you too”.
“I can’t breathe..”
“Love you too.”
Whatever gave him the idea that I was whispering sweet nothings to him? =D I think an asthma patient would have died asking him for help, or did he think that the attack could be cured with sweet words of affection? Hahaha!
Dignity
Talking about dignity, for someone who upholds dignity highly (IMHO), I was surprised at myself when I brushed it aside not once but twice. Going by my usual standards and based on past experience, it does not happen, not even once. I want to keep my ‘face’ but I just can’t. It was a clash of feelings and maintaining my hard-headedness would torture my heart. So the heart won both times in the battle of the anatomy. Still in disbelief.
Crap
Bosco, Hins, Dolphin, Oxide, Ekin. What the heck are those? Those are people’s names! Fans of TVB dramas should be familiar with them. Goodness, what were they thinking of when they decide to call themselves that? I’m sure their parents weren’t that cruel to subject their kids to such ridicule. The basis for those names are actually simple: if your Chinese name is Cheng Yee Kin, you just call yourself Ekin. The same goes with Cheung Hin (something), just call yourself Hins. I’d be Sues then. Not sure bout Dolphin and Oxide though, either they really enjoyed their biology and chemistry lessons or their names were Tou Fing and Ok Sai respectively.
To Mui Siew’s credit, at least she admitted that Hins is a stupid name though a big fan of TVB, Cantopop and Mandopop. But she did say that she hates his singing, so…
Then some people ask me what’s my English name. Firstly, isn’t my name English enough? It irritates me to the max when people ask that. It means they don’t know English names in the first place. My parents thought hard to give me a name that could double as a Chinese name as well. Secondly, I don’t believe in giving yourself an English name if you weren’t given one by your parents. Yes, stubborn again in retaining ‘me’, which is also why I don’t wear braces. Well, I guess I am just fortunate to have a nice name that I truly like. I might call myself something else if I were to be named Eat Too (my mum’s friend), Tou Fing or Ok Sai. Thirdly, there is really no point in giving yourself an English name when you can’t speak English at all!
We are not English in the first place =) Nah, not against English names, only if they are silly or weren’t ‘originally’ there. Think Ethan and Eli are nice names, as well as Jaden, Aidan and Hayden which rhyme but don’t start with the same letter. Nice names for my sons who are gonna wear little Nikes no matter how much they costs =) So damn cute that I don’t care if their dad has to wear Japanese slippers to fund them. Can’t remember though what’s the name I thought of for my daughter, cos it was too exotic that I forgot =P
English again, but horrible ones this time
Received these 2 resumes due to my company and Timmy’s looking for people. I’m the transit point la. Read these, copy and pasted:
Excerpts from Resume #1:
I am preferred to work in fairly organized environment, where performance can be measured with some degree of accuracy. I would to think that I am responsibility person doing my job, more realistic about my chances of completing a task with success. I am also can work either in team or individual.
What on earth is he trying to say, especially the first line?? To quote Eddie Tay, “Apa tahi awak cakap?” Hahahahaa!!
Excerpt from Cover Letter #2:
hi,
I wish to apply for the position above.I am a degree holder in Computer Science(System Management &Networking)from University Malaysia Sabah. In past,I gain an experience worked as an inter twice.I also have MCAD certification in vb.Net.I am also a faster learner person so;it will give me the advantages.I am a young, energetic,quality-oriented professional, and a good looking person. I can read, write and speak fluently in Malays and English. Hope to hear a good news from you.
The best part is she gave herself a 10 out of 10 for written and spoken English!! Oh no, the best-est part (haha, I’m becoming one of them too!) that she said she is good-looking. Hello, what kinda job you think you’re applying for? And started a letter with ‘hi’ and wrote her name in small letters. No wonder Timmy doesn’t even wanna interview her. She can continue ‘entertaining customers’ (by doing what, don’t ask me and I don’t wanna know either)
Ok, so I’d probably look at my resume 2 years down the road and have a good laugh as well but the main point here is, isn’t it horrible that our universities are churning these out? Talked about this before when I posted an article some time back. 11 years, even 13 years of schooling and they can’t string a decent sentence in English. The problem definitely lies in the education system, not in these various individuals. And then they squabble about teaching Maths and Science in English. Squabble la, then after that go and make DVDs.
To my fellow Mgs-ians especially my gang, I love you all soo.. much. We’re probably the only English-speaking bunch around. We rock! After form 6, uni and work life, you are truly where I belong hehe =)
More complaints bout un-speaking English people =P
Colleagues asked me to join them for some mall outing yesterday. It’s gonna be another boring thing like that day’s birthday party. Firstly, I don’t enjoy their company, we have nothing in common and most of the time, I don’t get what they say and even if I did, again I have no interest in TVB. Secondly, they are going to sing karaoke!! I shudder to think what the hell am I going to do there. Tears of sorrow will really flow down my cheeks, not exaggerating. Will be bored-der than the party. I mean, just imagine this: Quarantined in a room, listening to some weird guy with a weird name singing things I don’t comprehend and seeing Chinese words flick on the screen. Total agony. Staying home car-less wins, hands down. Did feel a bit bad cos Sherly is nice and asked twice if I was really really busy, so I pretended to have some interest but couldn’t attend. I should have told them that I wasn’t interested in the first place rather than giving them the excuse that I was going to get my car done, which is the truth anyway. Can’t escape forever with an excuse. Shucks.
It’s not that I’m arrogant or forgetting my roots or something, it’s just that I have no interest. But as you can guess it, it probably boils down to not understanding much Chinese =P Whatever, bah!
Office politics
Just gossip bout each others’ love lives, doesn’t come to the extent of back-stabbing yet. Though I might be perceived by some as a 2-headed snake cos I criticize James when with my ‘gang’ but on the other hand, I’m his ‘best friend’. Actually the only thing I do is speak to him, occasionally make small talk and make fun of him, which the others don’t do. Now imitating him is the ‘in’ thing in the office, especially the way he runs. Don’t get it why someone needs to run in the office, wanna act cute especially when he stamps his feet when he runs. Will try to get a video for your entertainment purposes =D Tried to for some time but getting caught is seriously deep trouble cos he already thinks I like him! But the risk is worth it =D
It is so fun working here, though I get gossiped about too though it’s nothing harmful, just some kay-pos who are so interested in my love life. One of the best times was when I found a woman’s pic in James’ drawer that I’m currently using. Itchy me showed my gang and the office Streamyx (who said she looks like an ah kua!!), then thought of pining it up on the partition for all including big boss to see but finally left it on his phone. When he came back, he said he didn’t know the woman and assumed it was meant to be passed to HR dept, so he gave it to the HR manager hahahaha! Listening to what’s happening over the partition is hilarious, and getting the news via Skype at that same time especially in caps is super hilarious, had tears in my eyes and Mui Siew asked me to stop laughing (which if you know me, I laugh even harder) cos he might hear it from the other side. Later, Lily and I had a round 2 of laughter when she went to Nizam’s to see the pic. He is gong-gong-ly keeping it on his desk hahaha! I asked him why is he keeping it? “Tak tau, James bagi.” Hahaha!! Still end up lol-ing on the way home and while writing this due to earlier suppressed laughter.
Earlier, Shikin a.k.a Streamyx was trying to dig a younger Chinese guy but ended up getting called ‘kak’ instead hahaha! Worse thing is, only the tea lady get called ‘kak’ here =D While it happened, all of us were stifling laughter from all sides of the partition. As soon as he was gone, from total silence to suddenly 3 people going “bwahahahaha!!” Then she said that she prefer $$$ though have ‘soft bananas’ as ‘hard bananas’ can be eaten elsewhere outside. Wah..This is the one who asks me everyday if I have a copy of Dr Chua’s DVD and if Tim has one too. Cannot tahan her, so horny wan but hilarious! I feel lonely if she’s on leave and she will ask me not to miss her too, which I usually will =)
Friendster café
Came across the review in NST on the Friendster café in Pyramid. Of course, the Friendster website comes to mind but the 3 co-owners claimed that they didn’t know of the website’s existence when they decided to name their café. Oh come on! They are all 26 years of age, not some old uncle. How ignorant could they be?? I think that’s probably just an excuse for their lameness and lack of originality. The same goes during finishing school when we had to give the rationale behind our group name and my coursemate said that her group didn’t know that there was a movie called Fantastic Four when they called their group that. Hello, all 4 or 5 people in the group live in their dorm toilets? Though she was the only person I knew at the finishing school, it didn’t stop me from standing up and lambasting her and her group =D
7 comments:
HAHA! The resume, LOL!
I go blog hopping alot and I read all sorts of 'funny' english as well.
I seriously thank God being in the English-speaking group of MGS-ian la. Damn proud of it. =)
Btw, gathering between MGS primary school teachers with us..
Date: 2nd Feb (Saturday)
Time: 830am
Venue: Kedai Depan (MGS)
Please come okay! And inform the rest from your batch! =)
OOh
Mun Khea has done that job for me. And based on my friendship and sisterhood with you, I can tell that you will probably not (or rather, most likely) appear that morning.
And just out of curiousity, am I part of the MGS-ians you mentioned? :P
Dun want that gathering la. No teacher remembers me and I dun want them to pretend that they do by asking 'safe' questions like what are u doing now, yada yada..
Ah Huey, no la, I didn't mix with u in school =D
yer!!
You should say yes lor!!!
I'm from MGS too :(
Wah lau eh, Sues (Haha! 'Sues') don't like that la. Pei min can?
Come la. And get people like Jiin, Sue Anne, Evelyn, Crystal, Pam, Suet Leng, Lee Hong, Grace and everyone to come can? Please please come!!
I'm not saying that u dun speak English, it's just that memang I didn't mix much with u ma.. =P Different session some more. Dun worry, u do speak good English =)
Ok, I'll inform the rest but actually they have a Genting trip on that day itself. But even if they hadn't, we dun wanna attend gatherings with small kids and small kid teachers =D =D
huh? gathering with small kids and small kids teachers? excuse me?
cough. Come lerrrrr~ Make sure I see you there!
Post a Comment