Monday, May 19, 2008

Fire drill and other not-so-happening events

On the way home from work one day, I realised that I have really run out of ideas (and happening happenings) to blog about. Then it suddenly dawned upon me that I could talk about the fire drill at the office! Ok, so that’s how lame and exciting my life is that even the fire drill is worth a mention =D

Anyway, here goes.. Although not supposed to, James had already informed us beforehand that the drill would be the next day. So we prepared by going to pee first =D And when the alarm went off, we locked up our laptops, started thinking shall we bring our phones and purses (to buy goreng pisang while waiting), changed into a comfy pair of slippers and off we go!

Which floor are we at? 19th! Going down steps were no problem, even suggested to the others that we should climb the stairs back for fun and exercise =D There were 20 steps for each level, so we descended a total of 380 steps! Even more than Batu Caves!

Timmy has a post on fire drill where he posted pics, so here are mine..


We were supposed to assemble here


The ‘evacuees’


Our replacement marshal (a.k.a. KusKus) making sure everyone is accounted for


Some jakun people who brought cameras and took pics wearing the warden vest. Whoever would bring a camera (phones are not cameras ok!) for a fire drill and whoever would find it fascinating and fashionable to wear the fluorescent vest?


When it was done, we went to buy goreng pisang to reward ourselves for the hard descent and to also replace the calories lost.

The next day, my calves were aching. It was a weekday yesterday, so there was no tkd and furthermore, it has been a while since I last trained. Oh, the fire drill! That must be it. Wah, so teruk wan =D

*****
What other happening happenings? The J-Card Members’ Day.

The usually empty JJ Bukit Tinggi carpark was filled to the brim! The ground floor was full, the first floor too and had to park at the 2nd which I was lucky to get a spot.

Lots of people and heaps of clothes! Managed to get 4 tops at 70% off each, how so very exciting! 170 bucks managed to get me 8 items =D An amusing thing was at the men’s underwear promotion. There was a big crowd there grabbing boxes and boxes of underwear and all were women =D Including myself hehehe..

The only regret was a nice BUM purse going at half price. Nice and cheap but there was only the display one. There was a new one for another model but it was scratched and flattened already. Hai..

*****
Fat Ahyee: How old are you this year, 20 ah?
Me : No la, 24.
Fat ahyee : 24 ah? I thought you are 20. What year are you born? Are you really sure?
Me : (Annoyed, how can I be not sure how old I myself am??)Yes la!

Now I feel really old. 24 is really far off from 20. And I haven’t got accustomed to saying I’m 24, cos I’m still 23 and still insist that I’m 23 whenever asked. =’( I wanna be 23..

*****

Had to ‘coach’ some kids for the MSSD Klang Taekwondo championship last Saturday. Saw a lot of people I know there but didn’t wanna say hello cos assisting Edwin is an embarrassment to me. Cos his training has no standard. I think the team we sent was an amusing bunch of misfits. How not to, the coach himself is a dyslexic misfit. Somehow I can’t find the draft criticising him and his training. Back to the bunch we sent, 4 out of 6 got knocked out in the first round, 1 got kicked in the head and tears streamed, another got kicked in the back and dislocated his shoulder badly til need to be sent to the hospital by ambulance. Well, I don’t give much of a damn, I just listen to my iPod and read Rich Dad Poor Dad there.

*****
Came across this ad in The Star’s Metro:

WANTED
Housekeeper/Nanny
Salary from RM2500 to RM3500

The pay’s not bad for a position that doesn’t need much education. Heck, some fresh grads are even getting RM1000+. So a look at the requirements..

Requirements:
1. Age 30-50
2. Able to drive
3. Able to cook
4. Able to guide the school homework (primary level)
5. Taking care of 2 children
6. Able to converse in English, BM and other dialects
7. 4 days off in 1 month
8. Must be able to stay in


So this is how my cover letter shall be:

Dear Madam,

I would like to apply for the position of Housekeeper/Nanny as advertised in The Star dated 16/5/08.

Although I do not fit the age requirement, I look like I’m 30 from one of my student’s point of view. Being younger is to your advantage, as I can perform tasks more quickly and efficiently. I’m able to drive both manual and automatic and even tiptronic cars and from the experience of driving a few models, I’m able to adapt well to the car be it a local, imported or a sports car. I’m capable in preparing quick simple meals that can be skilfully whipped up in 2 minutes. From my education and teaching experience, I believe I can assist the children well in their schoolwork and can even throw in Taekwondo or piano lessons if they have the interest.

My experience in teaching in a kindergarten and teaching tuition and Taekwondo enables a lot of interaction with children of all ages. Thus, taking care of children is not a problem to me. I’m well-conversant in English and BM, demonstrated by the achievement of A1 in SPM for both subjects and a distinction in the UNSW English Competition for Schools. I can also speak basic Cantonese, Mandarin, Hokkien and Hakka as well as basic Spanish learnt during my uni days.

My experience in interacting with and educating children, coupled with my education and abilities, makes me believe that I am the right candidate to care for your children. I am available anytime for an interview at your convenience and thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.


So, if you were the employer, would you hire me?

*****
I think I’m lucky lately cos I got an sms from Astro saying I won some money. I get all the lottery emails all the time til I get so fed up collecting my winnings but this is the first time winning something from Astro. This is how the message read:

TAHNIAH, simCard Anda tlah berjaya Daripade “ASTRO” RM14.000,- Sila Hub,telifon Office 00628179109249 Terima kasih.

Fool! Can’t they make it look a little more authentic by perhaps, using full spelling instead of short forms?

1. Get your spelling right
2. Get your letter case right
3. Haven’t heard of any collaboration between Digi and Astro giving away cash prizes. Or maybe they meant ‘Smart card’?

And for all that trouble, all you get is 14 bucks. No more, no less, very exact up to 3 decimal points. Deduct that from your call cost and you probably still have RM8.64. Or just wait til Monday and call from the office.

But then, it says Astro in inverted commas, so you were the one who got fooled into thinking that it’s that Astro.

The phone number there is as per the sms in case you wanna call them up. It’s ok if you didn’t receive the sms, I’m sure they’re pretty lenient people who are more than happy to entertain and reward anyone who calls them.


*****
Life is bliss at the moment. Have been sleeping very well lately, like there is nothing bothering me absolutely. It’s really a great feeling to sleep in peace and to have your heart feeling light with no worries. I dunno what was bugging me previously, probably the FPO training. So now I sleep every night dreaming lots of stuff and waking up the next morning thinking it’s a weekend…mmm…

And yeah, life is bliss. I love my boyfriend, I love my family, I love my job. Big man started asking me to do some reports from him instead of MS and Timmy’s got sweet sexy Emily. Love my life!




1 comment:

aehknum said...

*looks at the entry's date and then look at the calender*

banyak lama edi lehhh! Banyak habuk. New entry soon? =P