Monday, November 10, 2008

My 1st week at Toyota

It was a tough ad rough week, physically and mentally. Physically due to work, mentally due to love.

In my 1st week, my boss (Asst Manager-AM) wanted me to represent my division and present my analysis at a committee meeting. It was harrowing enough to be preparing reports in my first week- I dunno what CSOD, TCSS, TQE, SvA, SA, TSC, CSI, SSI ad MI are. Was already working late on the 3rd day. It is more harrowing to be presenting them at the meeting. They aren’t clients who are stupid-er than me; these are reps from each division. Luckily my manager(M) bailed me out, saying that I was too new.

Lazy boss! To think of it, they planned the meeting one month in advance but waited until I started work to prepare the report? And my boss asked me to prepare the report so that she could compare it against hers, when she had actually done nothing at all.

But it’s really a good opportunity, a really good one. An opportunity for everyone to see you shine (or fall!). In just 1 day, I learnt more Excel than I did in 1.5 years in AGB. And I affirm that I work best under pressure, else I procrastinate knowing I have time.

Verdict of Toyota (so far):
Environment: Fast, busy

Colleagues: no good fried yet and no one I’m interested in to be friends with =D

Food: Cheap! Rice at the canteen costs RM2-RM3 but we go out to malls occasionally and end up spending >RM10. People don’t like eating cheap food is it?? But 2 days eating there and I’m already bored with the 5 dishes offered. But still need to cut down on food expenses though; getting a higher pay and saving on other expenses doesn’t mean I should be living a life like a senior exec, especially when there is cheap food! =D

Parking: Free. Save RM60 from last job.

Travelling: Takes as much time to travel from PJ. The jam to and from work is depressing but I save RM100 on toll and some more on petrol.

Worst part: Boss sits behind me and there is supposedly a report sent to the directors on the Internet usage. I am so stressed that my every movement is observed. Think I need to get Internet at home to stop feeling miserable. The Internet security is strict here too; mail with image attached is blocked and a request needs to be sent to IT to unblock it. Ma kwai fan.

Discoveries:
1. Japanese like to use A3 papers for a whole glance at their reports

2. Very environmental-friendly, which is good. Lights and air-cond are turned off at lunch time. The pantry's lights are motion-sensored. Was like bengong looking for the switch, and then suddenly it is bright! Same goes with some of the toilet lights too.

3. The whiteboards can print things that were written on them. Is it canggih or what? Or am I the jakun one?

4. Discrimination against small car owners?

5.
Yeah, we all know that
6. White coffee, 3 in 1 coffee, Milo and honey green tea in the pantry! The honey is so fragrant and look at the Milo =)

Frothy, just like those hot chocolate drinks you order from cafes. And taste good too!


I dunno how long I will last here. The first week is stressful enough and it will take years to rise with all the hierarchy. With both execs left/leaving, I shall be the ‘senior’ but the new person won’t be of any help as I am given the role of both the previous execs. So I dunno what he/she’ll be doing other than once-a-quarter-trainings. (Again, another blessing in disguise) Heck, I’ve even got 2 admin assistants to do petty stuff for me and making sure the data submitted to me for my analysis is clean. But of course, they are not for ordering to go to the pantry to get a mug of nice chocolatey Milo =D Thoughts of the huge bonus will be my motivation to stay and work hard!! Then maybe I’ll get a huge-r bonus =)

Edit: Suddenly missing my old office. Found out madam's away, they wanna organise a trip to Lily's wedding and Nizam messaged me this morning asking how's my new job. Miss the freedom, most of all =(

1 comment:

aehknum said...

Enjoy your work at your new place. I think its something good =) Keep up!