No, I am not getting married, not getting religious and not pregnant hahaha. But read on, it’s interesting wan =P
Marriage, religion and pregnancy: An 11-year-old’s point of view
Rachel is the eldest of 3 sisters. Sensible, hardworking, smart; basically everything you would want in a daughter. Very different from her lazy gatal younger sister.
Rachel: Teacher, did you hug your boyfriend on the last day of school?
Me: No, I didn’t have a boyfriend then
Rachel: What about secondary school?
Me: Nope, I completed everything before having a boyfriend *smug*
Rachel: But what about college? You finished college right?
Me: Yeah, but he wasn’t from college *sheepish*
Rachel: Then, where did you find him?
Me: (whatever the answer is which isn’t what I wanna highlight here)
(silence)
I thought it was strange, this coming from Rachel. Never heard her mention any boy unlike Ryane who says she has 10 bfs. I sensed something, especially with the school holidays coming up.
Probe, probe, dig, dig...
Found out she likes a guy. So this sensible studious girl does like a guy. She told me about him, what she likes in him etc... cos I asked =D She probably saw me as a big sister/ confidante. After a short silence, she said "He’s Indian". I wasn’t surprised, cos she is pretty matured.
But what surprised me was that this young couple had talked about religion ad conversion. And to think that they weren't even officially ‘on’ yet. Rachel’s a Christian and Naresh said that he would convert to be with her as Rachel’s dad only allows her to marry a Christian. Rachel said there is no point converting just because he loves her; he never attended church nor read the Bible. That stunned me. I was in awe that they’d even spoken about it, I was even in more awe of what Naresh said and the awe-rest of them all was what Rachel said. Till this day, her words still tingle.
We spoke and shared that night. But by then end of the day, I had made her feel that she is lucky to have him sacrifice for her and she agreed to let him sacrifice since he was willing to =)
That night, I also found out that Ryane likes a Malay boy called Anugera. What kinda name is that?? He’s a year younger than her in Std 3 and he likes to flip girls’ skirts up =D But anyone will do for Ryane as long as they are cute.
Then Mr Tay gave them a comic strip where they have to fill in any conversation they wished. There was a picture of 2 girls talking, and Rachel wrote "Have you told your boyfriend you’re pregnant?" The other said "No, he’s quite emotional". Mr Tay came and read it and lectured them that they could do anything but do not get pregnant. Said he has seen Std 3 or Std 4 girls get pregnant before. I thought yeah, since girls reach puberty and are wilder these days, but then he realized that he actually meant F3 and F4 girls when he saw all of us tercengang, and we laughed like mad =D
What a class that night, Science for Std 2-5 students =)
Disclaimer: This post is solely for the purpose of sharing the conversation that absolutely amazed me.
1 comment:
It's great to see such maturity.
Belief is not to be taken lightly.
Post a Comment