Friday, July 31, 2009

I Love London: Part 4 (edited version)

Day 9, 11th July: At the Meridian line, how cool is that?

We went to Greenwich which is the home of time, where the Meridian line is. To get to the Royal Observatory Greenwich, it was a very long and tiring walk through some park, wanna pengsan.

The park, very lovely.

We walked up this long long path.


Before entering, I stood with the whole of London behind me.

See, I was at the Prime Meridian of the World!


This is THE Meridian Line. There were tons of people there and it wasn’t easy to get everyone off the line. Everyone wanna stand on the line.


This is the ‘something’ that stands beside the line.

It was so exciting to find KL there!


Wanna pretend to look astronomical before realising that I was looking into the wrong end of the telescope. Please don't ROFL. No wonder I don't see anything through it. I look like I was listening to it instead.

Nah, ini baru betul! But I don't see anything as well, then we realised that we have to put coins inside and that it’s a talking telescope. Bodoh. The telescope.

This is the something-something that is still being used til today to do something-something.


Me with the Shepherd 24 hour Gate Clock. Lazy to explain what’s so great about it.

On the way back from Greenwich, we stopped by Canary’s Wharf. My boss had never been there in the 4 years she was in London, so we thought we’d beat her to it. It’s actually a business area with a lot of high rise modern buildings (didn’t see many modern buildings in London yet so far) and banks. But it was still very lovely.
On one side there are brown old buildings..


...and on the other are modern buildings with HSBC


And then we proceeded to Camden market. Highly recommended by my boss and some colls who have been to London.


Very unique where the diners sit on scooters

Cyberdog


This place was recommended by boss. We thought it was a bar cos she said there would be people dancing on the countertop high on E. It was actually a place selling clothes. It was all dark inside and the clothes they sold are glow in the dark. The staff were all those freaks types with piercings all over their face and Trojan fluorescent green hair. And then a girl staff started dancing in the middle of the floor. We had just missed 2 girls dancing on a raised platform actually. Photography was not permitted and I wouldn’t wanna try my luck, else I get caught by those freaks and made to work free there for a year and cannot come back to see my Timmy.
We bought some hand-painted candles and then went to the Horse Tunnel market nearby. There were horse figures everywhere.


We went to the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square cos it was raining and we had to spend time at some place indoors. The gallery is a must-go but once there, err.. kinda boring la. At least I got to see Van Gogh’s Sunflower and that chair painting there. There were about 2 works of Picasso too but other than that, dunno who the artists were and all the paintings were of people that looked the same, those fat naked people type =D We ended up at Piccadilly and Lillywhite again where I bought jerseys for May Ling.

Day 10, 12th July: All plans tak jadi

First we wanted to go to Stonehenge and Bath. They were out of London, we only found out when we got to the station that the train tickets to Bath costs 50 pounds return. Stonehenge 29 pounds. 50 pounds is a lot of money by London standards, and even more money, RM300, by Malaysian standards. That is not inclusive of entrance fees and bus rides to and fro the place. We consoled ourselves that the Stonehenge were well, just stones and off we explored Paddington, where the train station was.

There in Paddington we found a green McD and this:


I wanted to MMS Timmy straight away (cos I call him Ah Pek) but if an SMS costs RM2, an MMS might cost RM10.

Since the weather was good that day, it had been rainy for the past few days, we decided to go for the London Eye. Unfortunately, there was a super long queue but at that place, there were many amusing characters that I quite enjoyed walking there.

When someone puts a coin for them, these ‘lizards’ will start cycling and the kinetic energy will power the smaller lizard and it starts cycling too. So cute.


This was really cute!!



And this too!



Headless man


We walked to the end where there was a movie museum and The Predator was there.

The Predator made some hissing sound suddenly, made me terperanjat. And keep hugging me and press my breasts and don't wanna let go after the pic was taken. Sei humsup lou inside that predator, kick his predator balls only he know. Small breasts also wanna press.


Dunno who these characters are but just take pic only.


And before we crossed to the other side of the river, there were lovely sights.


London Eye, taken from across the Thames, just in time for a passing cruise. Superb.



Forgotten what building this is already.


Dunno what this bridge is called also =P


Next destination, we went to this guards’ forgotten-what’s-it-called place hoping to take a pic with the bearskin hat guards. We didn’t find them there but we got another sort of guards instead.


After some enquiry, we went to St James Palace where we heard the bearskin hat guards would be. Plan tak jadi #3, they weren’t there.


Only these stupid guards were there.

Not sure if they are allowed to talk, I saw them talking among each other, so I approached the one on the right and asked if the bearskin ones would be around and when. It was funny; he tried to hide that he was talking, his mouth trying to talk without moving and his eyes darted here and there. Still, I pressed on for an answer. Finding out that the bearskin would only be there in the morning, we surrendered to the fact that there would be NO chance for pics with them since we don't have anymore weekends left to come back. That is my only regret.But at least I got a pic with another of London’s symbols, the policemen. I thought that they look cool with their vests but their hats make them look silly.




Thought that this was quite a nice pic. Sitting in the park suddenly seem nice even though I am a candle princess.


Dunno what else to do, we went to Wimbledon which was just 1 stop away from my place. Right at the station, there was a mall but the malls everywhere in London are stupid and we had only half an hour before the mall closed. It was at 4.30pm and stupid malls close at 5pm on Sundays. Don't you just wanna slap them?? We managed to get lots of tea and hot chocs right before the shop closed, and then we wandered through the Wimbledon town. Much more happening that my Earlsfield.

Nothing else to do, we went back to my place. Happy that I could have an early day today since we were already home, my knee was killing me, but ... (parts of story removed)

(parts of story removed) .. Turned out that the train didn’t stop at Wimbledon due to some ‘fatality’. We ended up at the next town, Raynespark, which was deader than Wimbledon and there was nothing to eat except fried chicken. (parts of story removed)

(Lots of profanities removed)

Day 13, 15th July: Carrying Terracotta in the rain and full of complaints

I went back to Baker Street after work to buy the Terracotta figures that I saw when I was there for Madame Tussaud. Don't ask me why I bought Terracotta in London. I just saw that they were cheap. Don't ask me again why I decided to haul two 3-feet high breakable figures back to Malaysia. They were cheap haha. But right after I paid for them, I looked at the receipt to see if they would take returns. Adoi. They weren’t very heavy, just that it would be chor teng. I would already be hand carrying 1 bag, have to drag my super heavy luggage and now 2 figures?

Not bad enough, it started to rain heavily. The heaviest rain I have seen in London so far. It had to be on Terracotta day. So we dashed into a nearby cafe. First time that we didn’t search for food for 1+ hour. (parts of story removed)


Anyway, enough complaints. We had crap food at that cafe and she wasn’t satisfied, was still hungry after having a kebab. So we went to KFC. (part of story removed) .... (looks like more complaints =P cos run out of places to go and to write about already) So I watched as she had 2 pieces of chicken. (part of story removed)

We dropped by Sainsbury for some chocs for colls back home and for our own consumption =) (part of story removed). Hai, so tired of hearing this over and over again.. (part of story removed)

Went home earlier that day, cos there was nowhere else to go and it was rainy too. The rain brought out the annoyance in me =D

To be continued..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the bridge maciam hungerford bridge...