Monday, March 31, 2008

KL International Marathon

Current favourites: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Heard it before, didn’t really notice it on my Maksim’s cd, heard it again on American Idol and reminds me of Timmy singing it when he was half drunk =D It’s a strange song. It has ‘Galileo’, ‘scaramouche’, ‘beelzebub’, even ‘Bismillah’ in it... Wait til you hear those strange words in the strange melody. One of the strangest songs I’ve ever heard. Still hooked onto Gasolina too, was screaming it on the bike ride in Pangkor.

The first 500 finishers in my category will get a medal and all finishers will get a cert. As Timmy and I crossed the finishing line, the personnel directed us to the first lane. So I followed Timmy only to find out that the women were supposed to queue at another line instead. But when I realized and headed back to the end of the line, a few more people had already finished so I had to queue behind them. I thought that those few people wouldn’t make a difference, I couldn’t be that unlucky to miss out on the 500 people all because I headed to the wrong queue right?

But as my fcuking luck is so fcuking bad, I was written down as number 501. Not 505 or 509, but 501. If I didn’t head to the wrong line, I would have queued ahead of the about 3 or 4 people. It’s bloody 501, mind you, if I was slow by say 5 people, I would have still kicked myself for being almost there. But bloody 501. This is not a sheer coincidence, it is purely bad luck. So suay. Speechless and too tired to have any expression.

But when they issued the finishers’ card to collect the certs, it says Position No. 491! But as my fcuking bad luck played up on me again, they said they ran out of medals already. What the fcuk? The first 500 get medals but they allocated like what, 450 only? Stupid. It’s the first marathon I’ve taken part ok, and will probably be the last if they continue to fcuk up like this. It’s a medal, not a cert and see how do you feel like when what’s yours is robbed due to stupid fcuking thing like ‘medal sudah habis’. Honestly, I was sobbing by the roadside, was so disappointed. Seeing other women having medals didn’t help, especially if they don’t looked like the running type. Well, they deserved it but I made it too.

And after calling them up twice today to get clarification, I finally got the explanation that you have to make it before the qualifying time to get the medal, despite being in the top 500. Where ever did they mention that in the rules? Here are the excerpts:

Finisher Medals:
(i) Finisher medals 42km and 21km
To be awarded to all finishers according to set times

(ii) Finisher medals 10km
To be awarded to the first 500 finishers of each category.

(iii) Finisher medals 7km
To be awarded to the first 300 finishers of each category.

(iv) All finishers will receive certificates.


Certificates Awards :
Certificates are awarded as follows:-
a) Achievement Certificates - within 4 hrs. (Full Marathon)
b) Participation Certificates - within 7 hrs. (Full Marathon)
c) 21km Certificates - within 3 hrs. 30min
d) 10km - within 1hr. 20min
e) 7km Fun Run - within 1hr. 30min

See, there is even inconsistency there. All finishers get certs and those who finishers within the timeline get certs. Stupid. Is it mentioned anywhere that the first 500 have to finish within the timeline? Read this if you want to. Even the guy who answered my call said that they just mention it generally in the rules. So it’s misleading and cheating participants, ain’t it? And after knowing this, was annoyed cos we actually made it like a few minutes after the qualifying time. Had I known, I would have pushed harder. Wasn’t really pushing myself cos I dunno what was I running for actually, don’t even know if I was going to at least get a cert. Hah, annoying!

On the other hand, it was a fun experience running with Timmy =) He picked me up at 5.15am, then we took the LRT there, met up with his colleagues and former colleagues and then we ran! Felt nervous at the starting point, my hands were cold. As usual my strange boyfriend decided to do something strange by carrying his backpack with him, thus running with it all along the way. It’s heavy you know, and the weight is already bogging you down. Still dunno why he decided to bring all his clothes there, it’s not like there is any place to bathe there as well? Strange hahaha.. but pity him. I can’t even run with a phone or keys in my pocket, so what about a towel, shorts, shirts, wallets, phones and keys? Some belonging to yours truly and his colleagues some more. Hai, pity Timmy.

Performance review: So bad! Was walking more than I ran. Well, what do you expect from someone who went jogging only twice as preparation? Hahaha. But it was an experience. Not really a pakthor session cos it wasn’t a leisure run and we tried to make it before the qualifying time. We thought that only those who finish within the qualifying time will get certs, so we ran for our life. So it was kinda a stressful, sweaty and needless to say, a very very tiring pakthor session. We saw all sorts of amusing people along the way. Some came with cameras which is still ok. There was this guy who stopped to take photos of himself as he ran and we later saw him passing the camera to a personnel, went back some distance and then pretend to run forward again. That is so lame! And fake, yuck. There was this man wearing shorts and leggings inside as well. Black shorts and black leggings! Omg!!

Some roads leading to KL were closed and seeing the electronic messages along the highway yesterday made me feel proud to be part of the big event that caused roads to be closed! =D It really is a big event. We were flagged off at Dataran Merdeka, ran through the Sungei Wang stetch, Pavillion and Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. More like sight seeing along the way. Pissed Timmy off too cos I kept asking how far have we ran and how far have we got to go. Bad sense of direction ma. And wanted to estimate how much time have we got left. And how much torture more. I don’t believe him anymore cos he keeps saying (without me asking anymore) ‘it’s around the corner’ or ‘almost there’ but it’s like 3km more! So tired wan..

It was quite fun and glad to be part of this big event. Still not so bad, managed to finish within the top 500 (out of how many, I dunno =D If what Timmy said it’s true, that the number on the shirts represent the number of participants, then I saw a lady numbered 2941 then). Managed slightly over the qualifying time, about 5 minutes short but got a cert anyway, so that cert was actually for all finishers. The only thing that marred it was the medal shortage, so pray for me that I’ll somehow eventually get it. Then it will be a perfect marathon!

The pics I have courtesy of Timmy, cos my phone is finally sent for repairs. So had to rely on Timmy’s phone and still haven’t really got a hang of it.


Me at the starting point. So exciting isn’t it? Gonna be flagged off soon and run!




Nice pic, ready at the start point!


After finishing, in one piece. Got sniffing by the road side and got forced by Amran (Timmy's ex-boss) to pose.



The gang from Branded3, minus their boss who had already gone home. Gone home before the race started, not after it ended =D That's Steven, Chan, Jeff, Tay and Timmy. I finally got all their names right, excluding Timmy of course.



Me and Timmy on the train home, surrender...sweaty, stinky, sad, tired and aching..

1 comment:

aehknum said...

It's very good already, seriously! It's so good to be part of it la! Congratz! =)